Jun 8, 2017

Full Scotland Travel Journal Report - Painting & Drawing Tips

NEW WORKS FROM THE STUDIO OF ART BY WENDY

Yes I am home!
Had an awesome time in Scotland with my two sisters.  Every day was full of fun, adventure and Scotland.  Edinburgh is an easy city to get around with transit and their rail system makes it grade to move from place to place.  And with our Scot Rail Passes we could hop on and off as we moved around the country.

Here are some of my sketchbook pages:
Sights of Portree on The Isle of Skye
The little town of Portree on Skye was fabulous.  All of Skye gave us a sense of the villages in the Highlands near the water.  There was a picture at every corner.


Journaling in Portree.
This part of the harbour was known as 'The Lovely Muck'.  I think it was because when the tide went out it was a mud flat.

Yes we found the Inn in Lauder and had lunch there!!  Our Great-Great-Great-Great Grandfather was manager there and his son was a clerk in 1840.
Must have a Highland Cow in my book!
Tried my hand at a Major Street Scene - Windows, gables, chimneys and roofs made this a nightmare.

Loved having the thistles already on the page - really inspired me to draw more. 
Got my sisters drawing too!  Me, Sherry and Maureen
Tried my hand at people while we were flying.  Some people can sleep on the plane but not me.
I am really pleased with my journal, I have lots of great memories from each page.  I hope this inspires you to get your journal started.

FYI - New Observations on Journaling from the trip: 
 Finding time to journal is always a problem; so much is happening and there is so much to see.  My list of ways to journal with a group started with my May post here.    Here are a few more ways to add to the list
- divide and conquer: while your partners find the information for the next leg of the journey, you pull out your book
- work in the train, boat, car.  I found the bus a bit to bumpy but everything else is a go.  Not your detailed stuff but certainly the lay of the land and the big picture can be captured
- waiting; When you travel there is lots of waiting.  The obvious things like trains and buses but also things like lunch and your turn in the shower and with the blow dryer
- put them to work; my sister's did many photo shoots for me so I would have shots for blogging.  They scouted things out, collect brochures, picked up things and watched the laundry while I worked.  It really helped to give me a little time and not slow them down.
Of course not every picture turned out - that is Sherry doing a Photo Bomb!

Great Opportunity to get some help with drawing: My  Drop-In and Draw Sessions  for June are Monday,June 12 & 19,  10-12pm, or  1-3pm.  Expressions Art Gallery, 227 & Lougheed Hwy, Maple Ridge.  Bring your sketchbook and your project and come draw.  I will be happy to give you a few pointers as you work on your drawing.  $15 Pre-Registration Required. Contact Me.  Less set until September. 

***THIS SUNDAY**** June 11- Art on the Farm
 
Kilby Historical Site, Harrison Mills. Join us for an Awesome ART Filled Day - sketch on the farm, join in hands-on drawing and painting sessions, see the sights.  My Hands-on Sessions will be at 12 & 2pm.  We will be drawing one of my flower favourites, Blackeyed Susies.  Have coffee and fresh pie afterwards at the cafe.  My personal favourite.  No registration, cost site fee only. 



 Etsy Shop now Open: WendyMouldsArt  Come on In!!
 

Father's Day is Coming Fast
Special Offer: 3 Horse Cards = 1 Pack = Instant Download for only $12
 My 3 Horse Doodle Cards LET'S RIDE, LITTLE ONE AND FREE SPIRIT are 1 Digital Downloads Pack at my Etsy Shop.  Yes, you can print and personalize your own cards instantly. Your father and horsey friends will love them. They are great for any occasion. See the story of their creation here.

 Be sure to like and share my posts.
 You won't miss a single one if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page. Keep up with all the art events by joining my email list (see sidebar on my blog)
 Have a great artful day,
Wendy

6 comments:

Debby said...

Love your sketches--especially the Highland cow! 😊 Your journal brought back happy memories of travels there with my mom and sister.

Brenda Hill CDM said...

Looks like you all had a great time, looking forward to some new artwork!

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Yes, I have a few ideas for art work and lots of ideas for Travel Journaling.

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Thanks Debbie, it is a wonderful place to visit. My sisters and I will have lots of great memories too.

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a great time.

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

It was a memorable trip and I must say that travel journal brings back so many great memories when I look at it. Definitely one of my favourite journals!!