Nov 24, 2014

Have you had a "fight to the finish"?

NEW WORKS FROM THE STUDIO OF ART BY WENDY

 You Begin,

Then Retreat!

Move forward again

Step Back!

and Battle On!

Mine started very innocently.  I was excited, I had a wonderful photo  of two little House Sparrows perched on a bird house from my trip to  Kilby Historical Site at Harrison Mills. I had great plans for the painting and I even had a title ready to go!

My plan: a square painting; the view on an angle; use the shingle line to lead to my focal point. I was ready!

My colours were mixed and I started to work. The shingles were fun to paint, I incorporated all my main colours into them, made them interesting and I felt they seemed to have a bit of life to them. That's when the trouble started!

My shadow colour killed my shingles!  

I fought back - switched to a purple black.  My shingles started to breath again.  I glazed them with Quin Burnt Orange, then again. Things were looking bleak.  I advanced - I painted the birdhouse!  My husband came by "those colours look funny" he commented. 

Definitely Time to Retreat!

I grabbed my colour theory books, I read, I experimented. 
I glazed and lifted. 
We battled!

Finally we collapsed, the colours were working
my picture had come to life!!

I relaxed and started to move on. But wait, a final skirmish! at the Framing Table!
The shape didn't work, the square was out.

I cropped!

"House Hunting" was born!
House Hunting - 4.5 x 6.5 - Watercolour

Special Note:  February is Marketing Month for Artists. My all day Marketing Workshop is set for Sunday, February 22, 2015.  See my Marketing Page for more information. 

4 comments:

Brenda Hill CDM said...

I almost missed seeing these little guys, well done and the colours are lovely

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Thanks, I must admit working within that tight colour range really challenged me to find different values and different glazing colours. I was pleased with the results.

Gillian Olson said...

Beautiful painting Wendy!

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Thanks Gillian, as you know some pictures go easy and seem to paint themselves, this one definitely didn't!!