Apr 11, 2012

Framing Watercolour Without Glass

NEW WORKS FROM THE STUDIO OF ART BY WENDY
TULIPS IN THE SPRING  4.5 x 6.5  Available

Tulips and daffodils just seem to be spring to me.   Bringing them home from the grocery store is always fun and we wait with anticipation as they open and then watch in amazement as they do their wonderful contortions while they mature and eventually fade.  Eight days is our record.  (Some may say we pushed it and really they were done sooner but . . )
I
 used this little arrangement as you know to run some experiments in techniques and I thought I would use the last one for the finish.  As I mentioned earlier, I am looking at framing watercolour without glass.   I have mounted my tulips on a wood cradle and then applied fixative, spray varnish and finally painted on several more coats of varnish.  It is definitely protected and ready to roll.  The big difference seems to be in the colours, they are now deeper, richer and somewhat brighter.  The cradle is kind of an interesting format to use as a substrate; one could also use a board and then mount the picture in any canvas frame.  My only concern is that my tulips will not be taken seriously in this format.   I am not finished with this and will try some of the other types of framing without glass.  Does anyone have a preference for this type of framing?


11 comments:

Elaine Chatwin said...

I like how you have finished this painting off Wendy. I think it will appeal to a lot of people.
Cheers, Elaine Chatwin

Studio at the Farm said...

Interesting, Wendy. I'd like to see it in person to get a close look at the effects.

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Thanks Elaine, It is an interesting little piece and does look really good with the black border.

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

I must admit that I was not as happy with it when I sprayed it as when I brushed the coats on. I did the first layer with the spray just to make sure my whites wouldn't move then brushed after that. The brush gives a nicer even coat.

Brenda Hill CDM said...

Wendy, I like it, would also like to see it in person.

Barbara A. Freeman said...

I like it too, Wendy. I know what you are saying though about how it will be received. Colored pencil without glass, mounted and varnished is also being done. This is a beautiful work though, no matter how you present it.

hmuxo said...

There's nothing prettier than Tulips in the Spring!! Your painting is lovely!!! Wonderful colors!

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Hi Barb, thank you. I do love the way the colours worked, especially the tulip in the foreground. We always have our favourite place in the picture and that is mine.

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Thank you hmuxo, it is so neat when all the bulbs start opening. So much colour after the months of gray!!

Boomer Pot of Gold said...

I am going to try this method this week! A few artists in our little town have been using it here and there and I would say the buying public is just as interested in these paintings as any other 'canvas' or similar acrylic on wood. In fact, maybe even more so. I have just finished an abstract which I think will look much better mounted on a cradle board. Here's hoping!

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Good luck Eileen, I have been monitoring this picture as it was my 'first' experiment as well and it is holding up well over time.