May 15, 2009

Dude, My Unsung Hero


My art club is having a show called "Heroes" and I wanted to incorporate my love of animals in the show. I think that all of our pets are heroes as they put up with so much from us and keep coming back with love and affection but the greatest ones of all are the service dogs. Dude, belongs to an artist and friend of mine and I felt he really is a hero. He is patient, understanding, loving, a fabulous friend and helper to his owner and it was a great privilege to draw him.
Don't get me wrong though, there were also some drawing challenges. I had lots of fun trying to make his fur look and feel like it was light and fluffy and not a "dark blob" as my husband said at one point! At the same time I didn't want him to look like he had just walked out of a salon; I hope that I have achieved my goal.

No comments: